Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Christian and Apollyon

I've heard of the book The Pilgrim's Progress multiple times in my life, but I've never taken the time to sit down and read it. This is no longer true, since it is on my syllabus for my Personal Spiritual Disciplines course I am taking in the fall. So, to get a head start I have begun the book, and am loving it so far. It's a blatant allegory about the life of a Christian and the trials he/she may face.
I just read a scene that made me want to pump my fist in the air and say, "Heck. Yes." So I thought I would share. :)

Christian (main character) has been on his journey to the City of Zion for quite some time. He has endured trials, climbed the mountain of Difficulty, has been shown truth, and is now descending into the Valley of Humiliation. While there he comes across a beast named Apollyon (Revelation 9:11 -- "the destroyer" or "satan"), who attempts to persuade him to return to his hometown, the City of Destruction, and return under his lordship. Christian refuses multiple times, until finally Apollyon falls into a rage against him, and begins pounding him with flaming darts (Ephesians 6:16).

Fortunately, Christian had been given armor at the top of the mountain of Difficulty (Ephesians 6:10-20), so he was able to shield himself from the darts. Apollyon was not dissuaded, and continually attacked him over and over, until Christian "grew weaker and weaker" (59). Then Apollyon "espying his opportunity, began to gather up close to Christian" and delivered such a blow as to knock Christian's sword from his hand and put him on the ground, so that Christian "began to despair of life" (59). ((Don't worry guys, the fist pump will come soon...)
Just as Apollyon was getting ready to make his final blow, Christian "nimbly reached out his hand for his Sword, and caught it, saying, 'Rejoice not against me, O mine Enemy! When I fall, I shall arise'" (59) and with that gave a deadly thrust which caused Apollyon to stumble backward. Christian seized this opportunity shouting, "Nay, in all these things we are more than Conquerors, through Him that loved us!" (60) and Apollyon spread his wings and quickly fled from Christian. (**insert fist pump and HECK. YES!**)
Favorite. Christian defeated Apollyon (satan) with the "Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God" (Ephesians 6:17). Here are the scriptures he quoted against Apollyon (the Micah verse is AWESOME).

"But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me." -Micah 7:7-8
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." -Romans 8:35, 37
Praise God that He has equipped us with the means to resist and defeat our foe, the devil. We have the power through His Spirit and His Word to conquer daily that which has already been conquered through the death of Christ. This is why it is IMPERATIVE that we KNOW the truth that we claim to believe, why we have no excuse to not commit scripture to memory and have a relationship with His living and active Word (Hebrews 4:12). Otherwise, how do we expect to battle satan when he strikes? Note I said "when", not "if". What a great reminder for us all to daily arm ourselves with the Word of God.
"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen." --1 Peter 5:8-11 

No comments:

Post a Comment